I am Professor of Philosophy at UCL, where I am also co-director of the UCL Health Humanities Centre. I am also co-Director of MA Health Humanities. I was Vice-Dean (Interdisciplinarity) for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities from 2015--19. My book Philosophy for Public Health and Public Policy: Beyond the Neglectful State is published by Oxford University Press.
In 2011-12, I spent nine months on secondment to the Royal Society, working as a Senior Policy Adviser on the Science as an Open Enterprise report. This report identifies the principles, opportunities and problems of sharing scientific information, and makes a number of recommendations to scientists and their institutions, policymakers and others about how to create a socially responsible open data regime.
My roles outside of UCL include:
- Associate editor of MIND (2021 onwards)
- Member of the National Data Guardian's Panel (2016--), and National Data Guardian's Steering Group (2018 onwards).
- Associate editor of Public Health Ethics (2015 - 2021)
- Academic ethicist for General Practice Extraction Service Independent Advisory Group (2013-15)
- Independent member of the Data Access Advisory Group (2015--17)
- Independent member of NHS Digital's Independent Group Advising on the Release of Data (2017)